Thursday, July 18, 2013

Old Bottles in the Shade



I've been playing in the yard today a lot like I once did as a kid. There's a spot I've been thinking about right outside the back door. I look at it every morning over coffee while I watch the goldfinches feed on the sunflowers and listen to their song




It's a bare patch that is too much in shade for a garden, and it's the coolest spot on the property any time of day.



I decided to quit dreaming about what to do with it and dragged some things out here instead.




A couple of plywood planks and old sawhorses for a table.




A soft quilt over everything, and a chair from the garden shed. A ruffled pillow just for romance. I find a lot of romance in old bottles and crates too.




I used this old hammer to secure the nails in the sawhorses a little better. I actually bought it this way. The broken handle is smooth and worn, so I know it was used a lot just this way. 



I showed these bottles in another post here, but the larger bottle is a recent find.




I like the iridescent deposits inside. 








Playing in the yard feels good on a hot July afternoon no matter how old you are. . .
 I hope you're having a good time somewhere too!

Jacqueline





Join me at

10 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

That is fun that you can play in your backyard like that with no one looking and thinking "what's she up to now?" I think that's what my neighbour would say if I did that. Maybe I'll wait for a day when they are away. :) I love how simply you set this up and made it look beautiful. The old bottles are amazing with their patina. A beautiful post Jacqueline. I hope you have a lovely weekend.

Unknown said...

Very nice. I like how you quit thinking about it and took action!! I need to get started!!

Suz said...

I love the old tin chair with the sweet ruffled pillow. Beautiful summer spot to dream.

Cynthia said...

What a gorgeous post, I just adore that chair with the pillow on the seat. So romantic in feel. What you did for the table is great too! It has been so very hot and humid here no one wants to even go outside!!

Cynthia

SImple and Serene Living said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun and what a pretty end result. xo Laura

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Thanks for sharing playtime with us, so beautiful!

Bella's Rose Cottage said...

Hi J,
It's a good summer, huh? I am enjoying playin in the yard endlessly too... Love your old bottle shade or sun!!
Happy Weekend to ya :-)
Hugs,
B

Pat said...

Jacqueline,
Elegance in olden bottles could only be done by your artistry, dear friend!!!
Add another chair, dear one. . .I'm dropping in to visit you in the shade and sip a Coke Cola!!!
Fondly,
Pat

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...

I love the chair with the ruffled seat cover!

Haworth said...

Your new play area is inspired, Jacqueline! So simple and yet so elegantly put together. I love your new bottle... it's like being under a sea wave looking up into the sunlight. I hope you enjoy this new place to sit and enjoy your summer days.